Student Pilot Certificate

FAA Student Pilot Certificate
To fly a registered, "N" numbered aircraft without an instructor aboard (i.e. solo), the pilot must have a valid and current FAA pilot certificate.  Holders of Recreational, Private, Commercial or higher licenses must have the class/category rating of Powered Parachute to legally fly a registered aircraft.

Student pilots cannot legally fly solo until they have a FAA Student Certificate. A Student Certificate can be issued by the Flight Safety District Office - FSDO (look at to find the FSDO nearest you).  It can also be issued by a Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE) or Sport Pilot Examiner (SPE).

In my capacity as an DPE, I can issue a Student Certificate to a powered parachute student taking instruction from a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI).  Contact me (see Contact Page) to discuss your plans.  You will have to fill in an application form (see below), and you will have to take a qualifying test before the license can be issued (see below).  Both of these are on-line, but are password protected.  I will issue you the password when you contact me.

The Student Certificate is valid for 5 years from date of issue.  However, it must be endorsed by your CFI instructor before you can solo, and must be re-endorsed every 90 days by a CFI to remain valid.
Test # 1
Test # 2
Test # 3
Select the test number assigned to you